Employers can now claim online for a grant for 80% of their furloughed employees’ salaries, up to a maximum of £2,500 per employee, per month, through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme. This scheme will be open until the end of June 2020.
Before employers claim, they need to:
- Read all the available guidance on GOV.UK before applying;
- Gather all the information and the precise calculations they need before starting their application. If they have a payroll provider, they will be able to help them with this;
- Employers can find out more in the calculation guidance where they can access a claim calculator. This will allow them to check their claim for most employees who are paid the same amount each pay period;
- Access our simple, step-by-step guide on GOV.UK for additional help.
To receive payment by 30 April, employers will need to complete an application by 22 April.
HMRC expects to be very busy so they ask that employers only call them if they can’t find what they need on GOV.UK or through their webchat service - this will leave their lines open for those who need our help most.
After employers have made a claim, they should:
- Keep a note or print-out of their claim reference number – they won’t receive a confirmation SMS or email;
- Retain all records and calculations for their claims, in case HMRC needs to contact them;
- Expect to receive the funds six working days after they apply, provided their claim matches records that we hold for their PAYE scheme. Employers should not contact HMRC before this time.
- Ask their furloughed employees not to contact HMRC directly - they will not be able to provide them with any information on individual claims.
HMRC will check claims made through the scheme and will act to protect public money against anyone who makes a claim using dishonest or fraudulent information.
HMRC also encourages all employers to protect their own credentials and to please be aware of potential scammers and opportunist criminal activity.